Are you a carer for someone with bipolar and also concerned about finances?

Perhaps you're not quite sure which benefits you and your loved one are entitled to. Here are a few organisations that can offer you free expert advice on finances, debt, benefits and your rights.


Turn2Us is a national charity that helps people in financial hardship gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and support services.

StepChange Debt Charity

StepChange is a charity that provides expert help so that people can manage and repay their debts. They offer tailored advice and practical solutions to help you manage debt and make a fresh start.

Citizens Advice

Citizen Advice aims to provide the advice people need for the problems they face. They're also working to improve the policies and practices that affect people's lives. They provide free, independent, confidential and impartial advice to everyone on their rights and responsibilities.

Energy Saving Advice Service

Some utility companies offer help if you have large arrears on your gas, electricity or water bills. You'll usually need to be a customer of the company so contact yours and see if they have a scheme. For energy-saving advice, contact the Energy Saving Advice service on 0300 123 1234 (England and Wales) or Home Energy Scotland on 0808 8082 282.'s Mental Health and Debt Guide has teamed up with Mind, Rethink, CAPUK and others to produce a free 44-page PDF booklet about mental health and finances. It's for anybody affected by mental health, including carers. It covers how to handle debt when unwell, how to work with banks, and free debt counselling. The booklet also has specific information on bipolar, including whether to disclose a diagnosis.

Carers Allowance

You could get £67.60 per week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they also receive certain benefits. You don't have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. To find out more, visit the government website