If you're under 11 or worried about your child, we can help

If you're under 11 and worried you might have bipolar

Mood swings are an ordinary part of growing up. If you find your mood swings particularly distressing, or those around you find them difficult to manage, it's worthwile speaking to someone about your worries.

Start with a trusted adult, download our leaflet about mood swings and then drop us a line if you're still worried.

Childline can also help. You can call them on 0800 1111 or visit their website: www.childline.org.uk

If you're under 11 and worried about a friend or family member

Living with or knowing someone with bipolar can sometimes be challenging, especially if you're a young person.

If you've been upset or harmed by anyone's actions or words, you should talk to a trusted adult. We can always talk to a trusted adult on your behalf and explain to them what's going on for you. 

If you're the parent or carer of someone under 11

Mood swings are an ordinary part of growing up, and it's not uncommon for children and adolescents to feel depressed or elated at different times. If you're worred that your child's mood swings are out what is ordinarily expected in adolescence, you may find it helpful to speak to your child's GP, their school and any other service they spend significant time with to understand how your child behaves in different contexts. You have the right to question any diagnosis or non-diagnosis.

You can also call: