If you're under 16 or worried about your child, we can help

If you're under 16 and worried you might have bipolar

Mood swings are an ordinary part of growing up. If you find your mood swings particularly distressing, or those around you find them difficult to manage, it's worthwile speaking to someone about your worries.

Start with a trusted adult, download our leaflet about mood swings and then drop us a line if you're still worried.

If you're under 16 and worried about a friend or family member

Living with or knowing someone with bipolar can sometimes be challenging, especially if you're a young person.

If you've been upset or harmed by anyone's actions or words, you should talk to a trusted adult. We can always talk to a trusted adult on your behalf and explain to them what's going on for you. 

If you're worried about your child

Mood swings are an ordinary part of growing up, and it's not uncommon for children and adolescents to feel depressed or elated at different times. If you're worred that your child's mood swings are out what is ordinarily expected in adolescence, you can talk it through with us.

You may find it helpful to speak to your child's GP, their school and any other service they spend significant time with to understand how your child behaves in different contexts. You have the right to question any diagnosis or non-diagnosis.

What support can I receive?

Email & telephone information - we're available Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm to answer calls or respond to messages. We offer ongoing information and support with our Youth Manager via phone and email for children under-16 and their family.

FAQs and leaflets - there is a range of information on our website signposting you to the right support.

How do I access support from Bipolar UK?

You can contact us on 0333 323 4459 or youth@bipolaruk.org Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.